Career, family, everyday issues. . . In a series of problems, many men put their health concerns on the back burner, returning to them only when discomfort becomes apparent.
An obvious example is erectile dysfunction. On the one hand, sexual weakness is a topic of fear for many men. On the other hand, weakened sexual potential is rarely taken seriously at first. Meanwhile, the first signs of reduced potency in men should definitely attract attention and lead to consultation with a specialist.
Problems with potency: psychology or physiology?
Traditionally, the problem of erectile dysfunction is associated with age: the older a man is, the more problems arise in the sexual sphere. However, doctors are starting to sound the alarm: erectile dysfunction has become noticeably younger. Starting from the age of 25, a modern person can experience periodic manifestations of this symptom. Moreover, today the main causes of reduced potency in young men are not stress and psycho-emotional disorders, but chronic diseases and lifestyle characteristics.
But what are the main factors that reduce sexual potential in men?
- infectious diseases (usually chronic);
- diseases associated with metabolic destabilization (including obesity);
- vascular damage;
- bad habits;
- neurotic disorders, prolonged stress, depression;
- acquired or congenital defects of the male genital organ.
It should be noted that the listed factors do not always lead to the development of sexual dysfunctions, but the first signs of worsening erection or decreased libido should indicate the need to consult a doctor. Only a specialist can determine the real causes of the dysfunction and exclude the presence of serious diseases that may be hidden behind the symptom.
Combating diminished capacity: on all fronts
Out of 100% of men experiencing sexual impotence, only 10% will immediately consult a doctor and actively work to solve this problem. The rest will ignore the "first signs" for various reasons, the most important of which is embarrassment, bringing the problem to its peak. Therefore, the first step to regain sexual power should be to understand the problem and only then try to get rid of it.
The causes of impotence in men and its treatment are interrelated and require not only medication, but also psychological correction, as well as serious changes in lifestyle and diet.
If the reason for the decrease in potency in young or adult men is not physiological factors, it is necessary to normalize libido and sexual potential:
- rejection of habits that have a negative effect on potency - smoking, frequent alcohol intake;
- balancing the diet - it is important to add vitamins to the menu, exclude fatty cholesterol foods and fast food, love sauerkraut, watermelon and dark chocolate;
- make your lifestyle more active, but without excessive physical activity;
- avoid stressful situations, be able to relax and focus on positive aspects;
- avoid hypothermia and carefully monitor personal hygiene;
- do not engage in promiscuous sex.
If the situation related to the decrease in potency is not critical, there is no need to resort to drug therapy. Along with lifestyle correction, a positive effect can be achieved by taking a herbal biological supplement that has a mild corrective effect on the body.
Premature ejaculation is one of the most common sexual disorders in men. However, it is not a full-fledged disease, since the function of the genital organs is preserved and it is generally the norm at certain moments of life (puberty, long-term sexual intercourse). Premature ejaculation (PE) refers to ejaculation with little sexual stimulation, as well as the inability to delay ejaculation for the time required for full intercourse. This leads to sexual partners not being satisfied with sex and causing conflicts. The man begins to experience psychological problems, fear of intimacy. If the pathology becomes chronic and begins to occur more often, the help of an andrologist is required.
What are the causes of premature ejaculation?
There are primary and secondary (acquired) forms. It occurs due to anatomical defects of primary genital organs or pathological heredity. The onset of premature ejaculation occurs during puberty and does not depend on external factors (partner, situation, psychological state).
Causes of the congenital form:
- hypersensitivity of the penis;
- dysfunction of serotonin receptors;
- short frenulum of the penis;
- cavernous fibrosis.
Secondary premature ejaculation can occur at any time of life against the background of a man's complete physical health. The main reason is chronic diseases of the genitourinary organs. Hormonal disorders characteristic of endocrine pathologies can also cause sexual dysfunction.
Factors that significantly increase the risk of PE include:
- traumatic sexual experience;
- chronic stress;
- family problems (conflicts, emotional coldness between spouses);
- the presence of neurological diagnoses - sclerosis, Parkinson's disease;
- irregular sexual intercourse;
- genital or pelvic operations.
An important factor is maintaining good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle. The lack of trace elements such as magnesium and zinc in men has a negative effect on the quality of ejaculation. Excessive dependence on alcohol reduces the ability to control the body, which leads to unpleasant events in bed.
Premature ejaculation: diagnosis and consultation with a doctor
The main consequences of pathological sexual dysfunction include:
- Sexual dissatisfaction.
- A man's inability to delay and control ejaculation.
- Conflicts and problems in personal relationships, feelings of guilt and fear of intimacy.
If there are such symptoms, it is recommended to consult an andrologist or urologist. During admission, the doctor pays special attention to collecting sexual history. For this it turns out:
- average time before discharge;
- The effect of PE on the quality of personal and sexual life;
- does the man have endocrine diseases or metabolic disorders;
- How often does premature ejaculation occur?
- At what age did the first case of PE occur?
- whether the man is taking any medication.
A detailed study of the details of a man's sex life will allow the doctor to distinguish congenital and acquired pathologies. Doctors also classify the situational form of PE into a special group. In this case, premature ejaculation occurs only under certain conditions (with the same partner, in a certain place).
Treatment of premature ejaculation
In some cases, it is enough to reduce the consumption of alcohol or other stimulating drinks (energy drinks, coffee) to restore a full sex life.
For psychological reasons, a positive result is achieved by establishing friendly communication between partners/spouses. Using a condom or changing positions can help reduce penile sensitivity and increase the duration of intercourse. However, such recommendations are effective only if there are no physical health problems. The choice of therapy depends on the cause of the pathology and its severity.
Conservative treatment of premature ejaculation
This group includes 3 main areas:
- Use of local ointments, anesthetic creams (mainly lidocaine). This method is easy to use and helps to reduce the sensitivity of the head of the penis. It is important to choose the correct dosage and strictly follow the treatment regimen prescribed by the doctor. In case of overdose, the opposite result is possible - numbness of the penis and lack of erection.
- Psychosexual therapy Two behavioral techniques are actively used - "stop-start" and "squeezing technique". They help to recognize and slow down the inevitable feeling of ejaculation. Therapy also aims to control the level of sexual arousal. The methods are included in the complex therapy of acquired premature ejaculation.
- Take medicine. Antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs are used. Prescribing selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) also gives good results. Their side effects cause delayed ejaculation.
If infectious diseases of the urogenital region are detected, a course of antibacterial and anti-inflammatory drugs is prescribed. In addition, vitamin complexes can be prescribed.
Surgical treatment of premature ejaculation
Surgery is a method of last resort, used only when congenital PE is detected. A lidocaine test is required to determine the need for surgery.
- Denervation of the head of the penis is a microsurgical intervention, during which the nerves of the penis are straightened.
- Frenulotomy (short frenuloplasty).
- Hyaluronic acid injections.
The main drawback of surgical treatment methods is the recovery period and the possibility of relapse. Currently, SSRI is considered the optimal and effective method of therapy. It is also important to improve interpersonal relationships and create a comfortable environment.
Ejaculation disorders not related to diseases of internal organs are often temporary and completely reversible. For this, a man should be more careful about his health. It is recommended to consult an andrologist or urologist regularly for timely detection and treatment of infectious diseases. Sometimes an explanatory conversation with a doctor is enough.
It is important to avoid mental stress, enrich your diet with healthy foods, and eliminate bad habits. If you cannot cope with psychological anxiety on your own, do not hesitate to ask for help from a psychotherapist.
How to maintain potency: advice from a urologist
Is it possible to maintain a full sex life until old age? What affects potency? How to eat and what kind of sports should be done to remain a man in the full sense? In what cases do you need medical help? In this article, I will answer the questions that interest all men and give specific advice from a urologist to protect men's health.
Myths and truths about male potential
The topic of potency has grown with so many myths that it would take not one article, but an entire book to dispel them. But to put an end to them once and for all, I will still mention some.
Stormy youth - old age without sex.
If in your youth, for example, you actively had sex every day or even several times, then by the age of 40-50 you will have exhausted the limit of sexual possibilities - is this true?
From a physiological point of view, this statement is completely unreasonable. Nature made sure that the reproductive function of man works until his death. Unlike women, who have a limited number of (conditionally) eggs, the production of seminal fluid continues as long as the man is alive.
The number and frequency of sexual intercourse in youth does not in any way affect the viability of men in old age. Another issue is indiscriminate unprotected contacts and their consequences. The consequences of STDs, especially those left untreated or left to chance, will surely come back to haunt you and it's only a matter of time.
- He can't control ejaculation like before
- Vibrant feelings do not exist, the orgasm is erased
If you stop having sex, you become impotent.
It also includes sexual arousal without subsequent release. Some men use this legend to force their partners to have sex every time they wake up.
Intermittent arousal (ejaculation) is actually not very good for men's health, but it is not as critical as many people think. Interrupting intercourse when a man is maximally aroused and ready to ejaculate can lead to prostatitis as a result of stagnant processes. And only if you interfere with them regularly. Two or three episodes a month can have no effect on his health.
Men's Health - Urology
Among the many factors affecting potency, urological diseases are among the "leaders". Especially in middle-aged men. In this regard, prostate adenoma and prostatitis are considered the main enemies of potential.
Urological problems in men related to prostate adenoma usually appear after 40-45 years of age. What brings patients to the doctor for men's problems is a weakened bladder or a man's inability to urinate.
An enlarged prostate gland puts pressure on the urethra and prevents the complete flow of urine. Frequent urges, discomfort from feeling that the bladder is not completely emptied - all this is not conducive to an active sex life, neither emotionally nor physically. Later - worse. Urinary problems affect the functioning of the kidneys, and in this case there is no time for carnal pleasures.
Unlike prostate adenoma, prostatitis is not only a disease of age. Young men can also buy it. Typically, prostatitis is the result of an unhealthy lifestyle and promiscuous sex. especially sexually transmitted infections. The situation with them is particularly difficult.
Most of the infections that cause prostatitis are chlamydia, mycoplasmosis, ureaplasmosis, etc. - do not cause acute symptoms for a long time. The disease almost immediately passes into the chronic stage. But there comes a time when the disease makes itself felt with pain, atypical secretions and urination problems due to an inflamed prostate. A man cannot think about sex in such a situation.
As you already know, there is no direct physiological connection between prostate gland diseases and erectile dysfunction. But this does not mean that it is not necessary to solve the problem, as a result, they prevent a man from having a normal sex life. Neither prostate adenoma nor prostatitis goes away on its own like a runny nose. If possible, it is impossible to restore men's sexual health without the help of a doctor.
Symptoms in urology often appear when the disease has already become chronic. It is possible to detect it at an early stage, which can be passed with simple conservative treatment, only by conducting regular preventive consultations and urological tests with a urologist.
Erectile dysfunction problems - who to contact
Now let's talk about what weakens potency in addition to urological diseases, which doctor to consult to restore men's health.
Although there are many causes of sexual impotence, they are all divided into three types:
- Organic. These include physiological factors - diseases and injuries.
- Psychogenic. In this case, physiology is in order, and impotence is caused by psychological problems - stress, depression, traumatic situation.
- Mixed. When both physiology and psyche are to blame for problems with potency.
Among the organic causes of potency problems, cardiovascular diseases are the most important. Vessels affected by cholesterol plaques or other pathological changes prevent the cavernous body of the penis from quickly filling with blood. As a result, erection occurs slowly. If the corpora cavernosa is not filled with enough blood, the erection is too weak for full sexual intercourse. In extreme cases, it is completely absent.
Another common cause is hormonal imbalance. Hormones regulate many processes in the body, including sexual arousal and erection. First of all, testosterone deficiency affects potency. This hormone, in principle, is responsible for the reproductive function of men. However, other endocrine diseases such as diabetes can also affect men's sexual performance.
In its pure form, psychogenic erectile dysfunction is less common than organic. Sexual impotence is often observed with prolonged depression, neuroses and psychological trauma. More often, a combination of psychogenic and physiological problems causes impotence.
Again, I will give an example of a man with prostatitis and premature ejaculation. Let's imagine that he could not control the ejaculation and his partner was displeased, so he scolded his partner for it. After some time, the situation was repeated. In addition, the man often did not enjoy intercourse with prostatitis. What thoughts come to mind? "I have a problem, I can't have normal sex! "The psychological problem is obvious. Add to that progressive prostatitis and impotence.
Which doctor should I see about potency problems?
Many people believe that the main doctor for men's health is a urologist. This is not entirely true. A urologist is a specialist who treats the genitourinary system. What diseases does a urologist treat? These are diseases:
- prostate (adenoma, prostatitis, etc. );
- bladder (neoplasms, inflammation);
- kidneys (pyelonephritis, urolithiasis);
With what symptoms and when should I go to the urologist?
- discharge from the urethra;
- difficulty urinating;
- pain in the perineum, scrotum, around the anus, in the lower back;
- impurities in urine or seminal fluid.
You should consult a doctor at the first symptoms. Self-medication is the worst thing that can happen in this situation.
Another specialist deals with issues related to men's sexual health. The chief doctor of male potency is an andrologist. He is the one who has the necessary knowledge to determine the exact cause of male impotence, prescribe adequate treatment and, if necessary, involve other specialists in the treatment - urologist, psychotherapist, endocrinologist.
Since fertility and urology are closely related, andrologists are usually competent in the treatment of urological diseases and combine the work of both specialties.
Useful tips for men's health
Let me emphasize again that age is not the cause of impotence. Sexual impotence is caused by physiological and psychological disorders that accumulate more every year. This means that you can enjoy a fulfilling sex life even in old age.
I am sure that every man knows how to protect his intimate health.
- A healthy balanced diet;
- regular physical activity;
- Moderate alcohol consumption;
- absence of bad habits;
- Take care of your health.
The ability to have sex and procreate depends directly on these simple natural things. But most men consider it insignificant, ignore it and receive the corresponding consequences.
I still recommend that you reconsider your attitude towards your lifestyle and build it taking into account the following tips:
- Quit smoking. The toxic substances you inhale with cigarette smoke - lead, formaldehyde, arsenic, etc. - destroys blood vessels. They fill with blood and harden the penis.
- Limit alcoholic beverages. It also affects the blood vessels. In addition, it disrupts the functioning of the liver, which in "revenge" turns the male sex hormone into a female hormone. You've probably seen what men with low testosterone and high estrogen look like: breasts that women can envy, fat accumulation on the waist and hips, hair loss in places atypical for a woman's body. There are major difficulties with libido and erection.
- Do sports. Moderate physical activity prevents stagnation of fluids in the vessels, "exercises" the vessels and maintains their elasticity.
- At least once a year, be examined by a urologist-andrologist and undergo preventive examinations.
Useful for increasing male potency:
- Various spices and seasonings: ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, hot pepper, fenugreek. They increase blood circulation, increase immunity, give vitality and increase sensitivity.
- Seeds, nuts: pistachios, pine nuts, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds. They contain a lot of proteins, vitamins and fats.
- All seafood: red fish, oysters. They contain easily digestible protein and other useful substances.
- Dairy products, especially home-made cheeses (paner, cottage cheese, but in moderation). It is rich in proteins.
- Fruits: currants, strawberries, avocados, bananas, watermelons, grapes, figs, raisins. This is to prevent chronic fatigue, one of the common causes of low libido. But don't overdo it so your sugar levels don't go through the roof. Many sweets are also potentially harmful.
- Greens: – celery, cilantro, parsley, dill, tarragon, basil. It improves the quality of sperm and the amount of sex hormones.
TOP-7 products that improve sexual function in men:
- Raw oysters. It is rich in selenium and zinc.
- Bitter chocolate. Improves mood and increases testosterone levels.
- Fenugreek. It lowers the blood sugar level and reduces the risk of diabetes.
- Ginger, carrot. It causes bleeding into the penis.
- Pumpkin seeds. They contain a large amount of zinc and are considered the most useful product for the male reproductive system.
- walnutPlant-based protein source, boosts testosterone.
- Red wine in small doses. Strengthens blood vessels.
Useful vitamins for male potency
In addition to vitamins that improve the functioning of the cardiovascular system, it is important to know about other supplements that will be useful in reducing potency.
- vitamins A, C, E, D, B3, B6;
- folic acid;
- omega fatty acids;
The sources of these useful substances are a balanced, healthy diet and complex vitamin preparations. Synthetic vitamins will help relieve prostate inflammation and balance hormone balance.
IMPORTANT! The information in this section cannot be used for self-diagnosis or self-treatment. In case of pain or other exacerbation of the disease, diagnostic tests should be prescribed only by the attending physician. You should contact your doctor to make a diagnosis and prescribe the right treatment.